Reviews

I've got the kettle on, ya got a minute to visit?

I'm so happy you dropped by! Stay and visit awhile.

Monday, June 10, 2013

TOS Review: Motherboard Books

 Sometimes......you just need to try something new.  When we were offered the opportunity to review Let's Make a Web Page, an e-book by Phyllis Wheeler for Motherboard Books, I was a bit apprehensive.  This would seriously be delving into the unknown for us- but it's geared for ages 8-12 so I figured it would be awesome to give the kids the chance to try something totally new.

I sat down with Abby and we read thru the opening of the e-book and got started.  I'm going to disclose, at this point, that computer action is my son's forte.....but that's kinda why I chose to do it with Abby.  I wanted to really put this product to the test because, honestly, I'm a total blank at the computer/techno thing and if me and Abs can pull it off- it's gotta be good stuff! :O)

First let me just say that Ms. Wheeler gives very clear instructions.  Not only does she give clear instructions, but she also provides screen shots of what you encounter along the way.  I LOVE THAT!  The lessons (10) are broken down into very manageable pieces with a reminder to save at the end of each- which tickled me until I realized that is truly a valuable piece of information to a computer newbie!  Below is the Table of Contents so you can see how thorough the e-book is:

Table of Contents

Introduction for Parents.......................................................................4
Lesson 1: An Interview.........................................................................5
Lesson 2: Download and Set Up the Program....................................7
Lesson 3: Add Text..............................................................................22
Lesson 4: Add Photo...........................................................................27
Lesson 6: From the Internet, Add Animations.................................30
Lesson 7: Browser Check, Backgrounds, Photos.............................35
Lesson 8: Sound...................................................................................46
Lesson 9: Links....................................................................................51
Lesson 10: Post Your Work...............................................................55
Appendix A: How to Upload to the Internet....................................58
Appendix B: Troubleshooting............................................................60


Here is a screen shot of the page that Abby made.  The lessons actually asked her to add more (for the sake of learning) but Abby felt it made it too cluttered so she asked if we could leave it.  The act of adding elements send the kids to Google to do some internet searching and I appreciated that Ms. Wheeler was cautious and asked that parents accompany their children to find their elements.


 Let's Make a Web Page retails for $19.95.  Please feel free to check out other reviews of this product and Logo Adventures by Motherboard Books.....

Click to read Crew Reviews

No comments: